What do you mean by Braces ?
Braces are flexible wires fixed on the teeth used to straighten irregular teeth. Any Child or adult person with crooked irregular teeth, protruded or forwardly placed teeth, retruded or backwardly placed teeth, crowded teeth, overlapping teeth or gaps between teeth can be corrected with Braces or Orthodontic Treatment.
How is Orthodontic Treatment done?
Orthodontic treatment is done by fixed braces which can be of steel/metallic or invisible braces. Orthodontic treatment can also be done with some appliances which are removable in nature that means they can be removed by patient. Treatment is decided depending on the type of malocclusion, patient's age, or if any habit is present like tongue thrusting, thumb sucking, lip biting or nail biting.
What are invisible braces?
- Braces can be placed on inner surface of tooth known as lingual orthodontics. So, they continue to do treatment hidden behind all the teeth.
- Invisible braces are white in colour /tooth coloured. They are made up of ceramic material. Highly Cosmetic in nature.
- Most Advanced & Latest treatment is when orthodontic treatment is done without fixed braces. In this patient is made to wear different appliances, Invisaligns at all stages of treatment. All of them are transparent so invisible to the observers
Why do teeth become malaligned / irregular?
When should be first orthodontic visit?
The Best time to get your child for first orthodontic visit check up is 7-8 years when milk teeth start exfoliating and permanent teeth are erupting in the child's mouth. When you see your child having irregular teeth immediately consult an
Orthodontist Dr. Seema Grover at Dr. Grover Dental clinic, Orthodontic & Implant Centre.
Is Extraction / Removal of teeth compulsory in Braces Treatment?
No, all cases do not need extractions. Only those cases where teeth are highly crowded and the Jaw size is small and we cannot realign all the teeth in a straight line, we need to extract 2 or 4 teeth. After your complete check up & X-Ray analysis your specialist is the right person to decide.
Is the treatment very painful?
The treatment is absolutely painless, slight discomfort may be felt after first orthodontic visit as braces & wires will be a new entrant to the mouth. This feeling is going to vanish soon & you will feel that the braces are adjusted well in your mouth. The high quality of braces is designed to behave smooth & most comfortable in your mouth through the entire treatment.
Reasons for malaligned/irregular teeth are
- When milk teeth do not fall off at the right time and the permanent start coming from behind.
- Small Jaw and Big sized teeth.
- Bad and deep cavities in milk teeth not treated on time, cause loss of space for the permanent teeth.
- Thumb sucking, lip biting or tongue thrusting habit, mouth breathing.
- Incompetent lips.
How can I brush with a regular toothbrush when I'm wearing braces?
- Keep your toothbrush at 45° angle to the gums. Apply gentle pressure as you brush with a short back-and-forth motion, cleaning each tooth individually for about 10 seconds.
- Now move your brush in the line of the braces placed on all the teeth gently above & down separately.
- Brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
- Remember to brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth - and make sure you reach the teeth in the back, too.
- Brush all your gums as well after you have cleaned your teeth.
- Finish by cleaning around your braces, brushing first from the upper & then lower teeth. (Brush gently, being careful not to break or bend any of the brackets or wires.)
- After brushing, be sure and look at your teeth very thoroughly in the mirror to make sure you have gotten rid of all the plaque on your teeth.
- Use Interdental Brush to clean inbetween teeth
- Floss nightly after brushing to remove the plaque missed by brushing
What are the care/instructions/do and donts, I have to take while my orthodontic treatment is going on?
Care during orthodontic Treatment:
- Avoid eating the hard and sticky food. Hard food includes apple, guava, nuts, carrot, radish, cucumber, chicken bones etc. Sticky Foods includes chicky, chocolates, chewing gums, candies etc.
- Avoid sports Activity such as Foot ball, Boxing & Judo which may injure you or cut your lips or cheeks.
- Sometimes you may get a sore spot or an ulcer due to the friction between the bracket surface and your gums. In such times, apply Mucopain gel and consult your orthodontist
- You need to use orthodontic brush during orthodontic treatment. You must spend at least 3 minutes in brushing your teeth and use a circular stroke. You must rinse with mouthwash daily at least 3-4 times for proper hyegiene. Finally, you must message your gums with gum paint as per instructions given to you.
What are Post treatment instructions of braces?
Retainers are worn once the braces are removed to prevent the relapse of the teeth, as bone and gums need additional time to stabilize around the teeth. Retainers can be removable or fixed (invisible) depending on the requirement. The time period for wearing the retainers will depend upon the individual mouth condition, age of the patient & Cephalometric Analysis.
At Dr. Grover's Dental Clinic, Orthodontic & Implant Centre, you are treated in the best hands & in most hygienic conditions. Patient's accurate diagnosis is done by taking all the records such as Teeth impressions, study models, intraoral & extraoral photographs and X-rays analysis. Then patient is given the best possible treatment according to the need of patient. Rest assured you will get the best aesthetic treatment by Dr. Seema Grover MDS, FPFA (USA) your Orthodontist and Cosmetic dentist.
(Visit Picture Gallery to See Completed Cases Done in our Clinic)